When people think of a “beautiful smile”, the first thing that usually comes to mind are teeth that are sparkling and white. Being able to show off a well-maintained set of teeth is a huge confidence booster for most, if not all of us. And that’s why zoom teeth whitening has become so popular in recent years.
Here at our local dental practice, we offer zoom teeth whitening in North Edmonton. Contact us today to learn more!
What is Zoom Teeth Whitening?
Also known as professional or in-office teeth whitening, this process is a well-known method of cosmetic dentistry. Dentists typically recommend this treatment to those who are dealing with severe discoloration.
Discoloration can occur because of several different factors, including, but not limited to the following: aging, genetics, consuming foods and drinks that leave behind stains such as curry, berries, tea, and wine, and engaging in lifestyle habits like taking certain medications and smoking.
While zoom teeth whiting can definitely improve the aesthetic appearance of your smile, it’s important to remember that our teeth are not naturally spotless and bright white; rather, they can resemble anything from dull ivory to a greyish yellow.
Essentially, zoom whitening is the process of applying bleach to your teeth. Hydrogen peroxide or hydrogen carbamide are the two most commonly used substances, as they can penetrate below the enamel and dentin on the surface of your teeth and remove deep stains.
Receiving Zoom Teeth Whitening
When you come in to receive this treatment from a dentist near you, they’ll begin your appointment by examining your teeth and gums. They may also take some x-rays. This allows your dentist to establish an overall image of your oral health and determine the level of care that you require.
Next, they’ll thoroughly clean your mouth, removing any remaining bacteria and plaque. The whitening agent will be applied to the surface of your teeth, and it will remain there for about a minute. After, it will be wiped off and reapplied. This is repeated until the shade of white that you desire is achieved. A special blue light is utilized to kickstart the actual whitening process.
If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to let your dentist know.
Dos and Don’ts After Receiving Teeth Whitening
Following your treatment, there are some steps you can and should take to make sure that the results of the whitening process last as long as possible.
• Avoid eating berries and red meat, and avoid drinking coffee, soda, or red wine, especially for the first forty-eight hours after your treatment.
• Consider the “white diet”. This means only consuming food and drink that won’t leave behind stains like milk, water, bananas, and eggs. In addition, using DIY treatments such as whitening toothpaste and mouthwashes can also help preserve the effects of zoom whitening.
• Brush and floss after each meal. Just because you’ve received professional teeth whitening doesn’t mean you don’t need to continually practice good oral health habits. Not only is this the simplest method to maintain bright teeth, but it’s also the most affordable!
• Smoke. Tobacco is notorious when it comes to staining our teeth.
• Over-indulge in whitening. Too much bleach can harm the enamel of your teeth and damage your gums. Always be sure to talk with your dentist in North Edmonton about extra measures you can adopt so your treatment lasts.
• Ignore any sensitivity or pain. Although zoom whitening doesn’t incorporate local anesthesia, if you begin to experience sensitivity or, in more extreme cases, oral pain, be sure to speak to your dentist as soon as you can.
Are you interested in receiving zoom teeth whitening near you? At Griesbach Dental, we’re here to help you regain control of your oral health and fall in love with your smile. Our staff is happy to address any questions or concerns you may have about the process.
Call, come in, or visit our website to book a consultation today!